THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Sunday, June 19, 2011

"A Father to the Fatherless"

Today is Father's Day, unlike Mother's Day it is not the busiest restaurant day of the year, not for the florists for obvious reason, maybe for the golf courses if it's not raining, and certainly not a huge Hallmark card day.  Sad...but true.


Today's Question:  "Do the titles we are given automatically mean we are good at them?"

My answer....only if your God and they are good.

When I was around 11 years old I entered my horse Breeze in the 4H show.  Breeze was my gift horse, and yes I occasionally looked him right in the mouth, I got his mom for passing grade one, her name was Blackie and she was a Welsh Mountain Pony, who happened to be in foal, much to every ones surprise...we got a two for one deal...I love those to this day.  Breeze was a mix, of what the man we bought Blackie from thought was a Quarter Horse, Thoroughbred cross.  Heinz 57 we call those.  My mom grew up on a farm and was used to work horses so she let us ride him a little too soon, as a result he had a bit of a sway back, but I loved him and he had the sweetest face.  I decided that since Breeze was competing against a group of much better bred horses I'd entere him in events where saddles were required...you lose marks for sway backs. 

I had ridden the 10 miles to the rodeo grounds where the big event was taking place.  My horse was safely tied having a well earned break and I was looking at the trophies beside the sign up table.  Only one caught my eye, it was different than all the rest and I loved it.  I'd said nothing but this girl who had a big and very well trained and bred horse saw me looking at it.  "That's the Western Trail trophy and I'll be winning that."  She said in a very matter of fact way.  I just looked at her and smiled and walked away.  I figured she was probably right.  She had a great horse. 

Western Trail was the event I'd worked the hardest at with Breeze at home, we opened gates with me sitting on him, crossed boards and bridges of all kinds, I swung plastic all around him, I'd make him stand and look at me without moving while I walked away and then walked back.  He was good at it, probably because he wasn't overly energetic to begin with.  He was born to keep his head low and to move with caution, Welsh Mountain ponies are know for their sure-footedness and he'd gotten that from his mom.  No crazy high stepping moves for Breeze...just slow and steady.

To make this potentially long story short Breeze was an absolute angel in that Western Trail course the judges had set up that day.  I opened and closed the gates like a pro, he stood and watched me walk away and back to him with his reigns on the ground, head down eyes on me, we crossed bridges and water holes, I swung stuff around his head and body, and he never reacted to plastic on the ground or anything...he did it all...never missed a beat actually and I won that trophy from a gentlemen judge who was just so impressed with my little horsey mutt.  I think that judge appreciated Breezes calm nature, he truly was the perfect trail horse, he'd spent his entire life trail riding with me.  He was a great and trustworthy mount.

The point.  This morning I woke up thinking about the arrogance of that girl, it's not the first time I've thought about it...it's just the first time I thought about God as a Father in relation to this event.  My dad wasn't present for that big horse show, he never was able to make any of my events, my mom was there and she was proud.  I thought about the type of Father God is this morning and the first thing that came to mind was the fact that He is always watching us.  Never takes his eyes off of us in fact.  I believe that he saw the arrogance of that young girl and my humility.  I didn't think I could win that event and I knew that as far as breeding and training went, Breeze was inferior.   However, God saw my heart and my efforts in training and He caused that judge to see those things as well.  I didn't go up and smirk in that girls face after I got my trophy, I actually felt sorry for her because it would be embarrassing to lose after her comments to me.  I was way too happy with my little brown Heinz 57 horsey that day to care.

Today if you don't have a father, God is present and watches every little thing you do, He is always pleased with you because He sees you through His perfect Son.  You can't be anything but beautiful in the light of Jesus Christ.  The Perfect Father loves you perfectly.  I'm so grateful for that on this Father's Day...so grateful.  I'm grateful for Father's who do the best they can as well.

My Prayer:  "Father, thank you, for always seeing us, knowing us and loving us....completely and unconditionally.  Bless all your dear children this day.  And thank you for being the best Father, this day and every day... eternally."

Be Blessed with a Wonderful Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment