THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Thursday, June 9, 2011

"How does one love a pebble in their shoe?"

Yesterday I mowed the lawn at our other house...yep still have it.  Was getting it ready for a showing and I'm praying it sells.  Oops...sidetracked.  Before I mowed the lawn I pulled some gargantuan weeds that had overtaken the beautiful garden planters my husband made me in hopes that I'd become a gardener...he's funny.  Whilst shaking the excess dirt off the root of those nasty weeds I felt the sudden rush of dirt surrounding my Lacoste runners...please note I mow in style.  I ignored said dirt and pressed on.

Today's Question:  "Do you ever ignore something that you will be forced to pay attention to later?"

Yep...pebble from that shaken root dirt in my shoe.  How does one love a pebble in their shoe?  One does not.  I tried to leave it there as I reflected on the movie it came from.  It's one of my beautiful daughters favorites and it's called "Ever After."  A Cinderella story with an independent women who doesn't need her Prince but is happy to have him.  The nasty stepmother says those most unkind words to her stepdaughter after she asks her if she ever loved her in some small way.  Obviously those words bothered me enough to take me back to that movie as soon as I realized I had a pebble in my shoe.  I tried to love it, hoping I'd be the exception.  I was determined to be the one who could love a pebble in my shoe.  I may have made three sweeps across the back lawn before my instincts for survival took over and I found myself removing my runner, before the side of my foot blistered from my failed attempt at loving the unlovely.  Such sorrow. 

Now my mind is going as fast as the mower and I'm thinking about how God wants us to love the unlovely.  That's hard for the human, however, unlike the pebble in my shoe people have feelings, they love, they cry, they laugh and they can love back.  Pebbles are not lovely mean stepmother and you were right, you can't love them.  But people, regardless of how irritating they can be, deserve to be loved.  Why?  Because God loves them, kinda like He loves me when I'm as painful as a pebble in your shoe. 

What irritates you?  Things can be gotten rid of and forgotten, people can't.  I need to remember this in every area of my life because this battle with my weight reminds me of that pebble.  Wish I could just take the stinking stuff off and never think about it again.  Apparently I'll have to actually do like I did with the pebble, bend down, take off the shoe, shake out the pebble and move on.  May take a little longer to dispose of the fat I've stored but it can be gotten rid of with some effort. 

My Prayer:  "Help us to love the unlovely especially when we feel unlovely ourselves.  I'm so grateful for your unconditional and unending love for us all.   You rock!"

Be Blessed with a Wonderful Day

No comments:

Post a Comment