THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fun Job

So yesterday Gord gave me permission to pick apart his work.  He's been doing the repairs on the mudding, taping and painting he did upstairs.  I usually point out the things he missed, I'm picky like that in case some of you didn't know.  However, this time he asked me to come upstairs and show him everything I could find that needed repair.  And the best part, he promised not to get mad.  Wow!  That was fun.

Todays Question:  "What does it say about a person when they like to highlight the flaws in someone's work?"

I'm not sure.  I find myself wondering how often I do that.  I'd like to tell you it's rare people...very rare.  But...oh I hate buts, it's unfortunately one of those things I do on a very regular basis.  You should know I have learned to keep my mouth shut, most of the time.  And you should also know that I highlight the good as well.  Upon reflection I've noticed that I notice everything, about everyone.  I'm the person who always notices you've colored, cut or changed your hair.  I'm the one who sees everything you hope I don't see in your house.  I will spot a piece of lint, hair, stain, hole or tear on anything you wear.  And for goodness sake if the hole is under the arm I'll be the person who notices you not lifting your arm intentionally so your secret is not discovered.  I'll notice the weight you gain and I'll notice the weight you've lost quickly.  I'll notice when your mood has shifted, I'll hear when you are not paying attention to what I'm saying, and when you've lost interest.  I'm the person who notices almost everything, every change, good or bad.  It's a wonder I have any friends.  :)

I would appear to be quite picky as well.  Todays second question; "Is there any hope for me?"  I know the answer, there is.  In spite of my noticing everything I have a second gift, let's just call it a gift for my sake ok, I'm careful.  I'm careful not to hurt peoples feelings, I'm careful to highlight all the good I see in others, whether I know them or not, I keep my tounge unless I know that it's something I have to share or would want someone to point out for me.  For example Lucie, if your friend has a piece of black pepper or something they ate stuck in their teeth, you should point it out.  In her defense she said she didn't notice while I talked to that good looking waiter, whatever.  I have learned to embrace my observant nature and most importantly, to use it for good.  I'm very well aware of my imperfections because my gift for observing is not wasted on me.  I notice every new wrinkle, every gray hair and every change in my body.  Yikes!  If nothing else I am fair. 

My point.  It is good to pay attention, it is even better to add to that attention detail.  I do notice things and that is good, unless I only comment on what is wrong.  If I never told Gord how amazing I think it is that he has done the majority of the rennos so well and I'm so amazed at his abilities, I'd be a jerk.  No nice word, sorry.  If I never told my friends I love their hair, their eyes, their choice of clothes, I'd be a loser.  If encouragement wasn't something I paid attention to as well I'd have nothing to balance my observance with.  So this morning ask yourself, what do you do when you notice something wrong?  How do you respond.  You see my friends it's taken me a long time to learn that being observant is okay as long as I remember that being encouraging regardless of what I see is vital. 

My Prayer:  "Lord help us to realize that we get more with honey than we ever will with vinegar.  Your word is so true, we need to be encouraging to one another especially in these very trying times.  Help us to live our lives remembering to...."Speak the truth in love."  A verse that will literally change not just our lives but the lives of those around us."

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment