THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ignored It

After a full afternoon of shopping I decided  I could handle one more stop at Chapters to see if I could replace the book my friend Lucie bought me, somehow I lost it.  Like good best friends do, she helped me by telling me where she bought it and didn't make me feel bad for losing it.  Sad story, no book, good news I found one with pictures for my bathroom rennos that are close enough.  Really good news, I don't know if you've noticed but Chapters is full of strategically placed chocolate, in the small bar form, in the individual packet form and in the gigantic bar form. 

Todays Question:  "How many of you are thinking why is that good news that chocolate is everywhere in a book store, and how many of you are saying that is good news?"  :)

Add to this story of good news the fact that I was very hungry because it had been 6 hours since my last meal.  I rounded a corner in my search for a bathroom renno books and came face to face with a very tall display of huge chocolate bars of every type.  Of course the pictures of chocolate with nuts caught my eyes quickly and I felt that sensation, the one where I'm about to zone out, reach for the bar and start eating it as I walk through the store.  That would normally prevent me from waking from my stupor until I handed the empty wrapper to the cashier.  At the counter with chocolate on my lips I'd give the cashier a nice brown toothed smile.  Depending on her size and drug of choice she's the Dr. with the potential to snap me in or out of my drug induced state.  The judgement stare from the skinny cashier would bring instant guilt and the big understadning smile from the chubby cashier...instant joy.  And so you know I'm not prejudice, I've seen skinny girls smile when they see empty chocolate wrappers as well. 

Ok now that my trip down memory lane has ended I'll get to the good news.  I felt that feeling, the zoning out one.  I heard the voice in my head say, you are hungry you should eat.  Then another voice said, it's not sugar sunday, is this what you really want to eat?  The answer was no, how good is that?  I wanted to have the leftover hamburger from our BBQ for supper, not a chocolate bar and then eat the burger later anyway, since I hadn't had supper.  You know that the tons of fat and calories from the chocoalte bar couldn't possibly have filled me up and junk food never counts as supper.  Those are some basic weight watcher rules...mine yes...but still rules.  I walked away from those chocolate bars, including two seperate displays at the counter, one so close I hardly had room to set my purse down to pay.  I didn't feel like I missed anything, seriously.  I felt like for once I'd gained something other than weight, some self-control.  Yes I know I control myself, point is I haven't always accepted that.  I blamed the force.

I was even a little annoyed at the Chapters people for being so purposeful in their displays.  Really, one big box mere feet from where you pay, more along the counter and then two on either side of where you set your purse.  Displays throughout the isles so you come face to face with these tempations, book stores used to be safe places.  What is this world coming too?  :)

Regardless...I overcame temptation, I ingnored it.  I actually focused on what I wanted instead of what over-advertising would like me to want.

My Prayer:  "Learning to stay focused is a wonderful gift Lord, help us all to keep our eyes on the prize, those in heaven and those on earth."

Be Blessed with a Wonderful Day 

2 comments:

  1. yaaaay - way to go! :) I, too, am constantly tempted by those chapters chocolates... I will remember you every time I pass the display and NOT buy one! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by your blog today. Congrats on pushing the temptation aside. I carry a fiber plus bar in my purse. They are feeling and not too bad calorie wise.
    Ann
    Less of Me

    ReplyDelete