THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Monday, October 26, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall.

I'm asking you to find a mirror, a full length one would be good, and then take a good honest look at yourself and tell me what you see.  I mean really look at yourself.  My condition, you are not allowed to let one negative thought enter your mind.  You must silence it immediately and then reaffirm yourself with no less than three positive thoughts to any negative thoughts that come.  This may sound easy, but for those of us who like to pick themselves apart when they look in the mirror it is not.  I'm also asking you to go do this now, leave your computer on and take a minute to do this, it's important.  Go!

Today's Question:  "Did you see how beautiful you are?"

If I was in my forties I would have answered no.  It would have been a resounding no, oh I could have come up with some positives, I love my hair, it's so easy to care for, I have nice eyes, I like my nose, my small ears, I also enjoy my long legs.  I could say I'm happy with my hands, my fingernails, especially since I quit chewing them years ago.  Those would have been my positives, my negatives, big belly, wrinkles, big boobs, that are not sitting where they should be, thank God for bras, and those skin color changes on the face and hands, oh dear I don't like that.  If you would have asked me in a dark room, where no one knew who I was or could ever figure it out, did I think I was beautiful, the answer would have been no.  I may have been able to pretend that I felt beautiful outside that dark room, I may even have said I was okay looking, but beautiful, wrong girl.

I am fifty one years old and it took me until I was almost fifty to realize that I was a beautiful woman, inside and out.  Now for those of you who read yesterday's post, you may be thinking, not so much.  However, that was yesterday, I'm not so frustrated today.  I can honestly tell you that when I look in a mirror now, I genuinely like what I see.  I know I need work and I can feel my flaws,  but I also know that God is working in me, He will never stop.  I am made in His image and I am beautiful.

When I stopped comparing myself to others and accepted who I was and how God made me, not to mention how very much He loves me, I could see my own beauty.  I liked the person I saw looking back at me.  I didn't care if I wasn't perfect, or built like someone else, I was happy with my body, even with extra weight on.  Remember I'm not losing weight for show, it is truly a health choice for me.  I can finally see that beauty comes from within and flows out, not visa versa.  (please re-read that.) I realize the work I need cannot be done in a plastic surgeons chair, it must be inward, no man can give you what you don't feel.  No physical change will soften your heart. 

If I could spare you younger ladies years of self-loathing with this post, I'd be so happy.  I want you to see what God sees, know you are not perfect, but know you are loved perfectly by a Father who made you in His image and set His seal upon you.  He has decaled you are beautiful, "I gave you beauty for ashes."  We are ashes, He gave us beauty.  It's in you.  Please let it out.  True beauty is not seen first but felt, once it's felt the one who possesses it cannot help but radiate it.  All will see how beautiful you are when you do! 

I'm fifty one years old and I can tell you I have gotten more compliments in the latter part of my life than I ever did when I was young.  When I saw my own beauty other people did too.   Remarkable.  I pray you will all stand looking in your mirrors for as long as it takes for you to accept how beautiful you truly are.

God bless you with a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment