THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wardrobe Malfunction

Yesterday I decided it was time to buy a new outfit.  We had a dinner with a couple from my husbands work and I wanted to look nice.  I do have lots of dress clothes, however, the thought of anything that was in my closet seemed repulsive to me.  I have not bought any new dress clothes for quite some time, I had an excuse, a bank card, time and a car.  I was off like a light bulb. 

After picking out three pairs of slacks, a vest and six shirts I was sure I had something that would fit and look nice.  Both equally as important.  I was surprised by what I saw as I stood in front of that full length mirror.  I had what I'll call, a wardrobe malfunction.  It was not caused by the clothes I had yet to try on, it was what I'd chosen to wear that morning.  A pair of jeans, a pretty lime green sweater and my black flat Lacoste runners.  Sounds good, in my mirror at home, looked good.  But oh my when I saw how wonderfully my jeans were cut to highlight my ever present belly roll, I gasped, to say the least.  Add to that the flat runners and I looked downright frumpy. 

Todays Question:  "How the heck did I miss that roll in my mirror?" 

You should have seen how obvious it was when my coat was on, hanging out in front like a stainless steel bumper, only it was not shinny.  I was astounded.  So, what's done is done, let's try on some new clothes.  I was grateful to get that outfit off let me tell you.

Now I'm very happy to report that everything I tried on fit.  Wow, I rejected the larger size black pants and comfortably purchased the two size smaller ones.  They fit and looked amazing.  Found not one but three shirts, for two reasons, they fit like they were made for me and they were on sale.  Powerful combination, don't you agree ladies?

I stood looking at myself in the mirror and I noticed, I have lost weight and I looked so much slimmer in my new outfit than I did in the one I wore in.  I thought I looked fine until I spotted that rolling wardrobe malfunction, I knew clothes made a difference, I just hadn't realized how much.  I seriously could have done a before and after shot for any magazine and convinced you all that I'd lost 20 pounds, in the two minutes it took me to change clothes. I thought about sleeping in that outfit, reason won out.  Besides there was no point in wrinkling it, I may be wearing it for the next month.

I will not be pairing that lime green sweater, with those jean and flat runners again. That is over.  The good news is I learned something I'd heard repeatedly but hadn't quite grasped.  Clothes really can make you see the results before you have them.  That was a good lesson, especially since this process takes time and patience is something I'm practicing as I go.  So, I thank God for my wardrobe malfunction, once again I learned from my suffering.  :)

Be blessed with a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you Jenny! I love reading your blogs & I'm looking forward already to the next one already:) As I read today's blog...I was reminded of how God has blessed us gals with special friends to help encourage, inspire & to lift us up! You are a very special friend to me, Jenny. Remembering the time when we had a blast shopping & going for lunch together. You made that day for me so very special & treated me like a queen! I miss you & I look forward to one day again "shopping & sharing" together! HUGS...(Now where is that gadget to help me do my tummy crunches?) <3 WM

    ReplyDelete