THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Monday, February 22, 2010

Day One - Checked In

I feel inclined to share this journey of my husbands, whether he likes it or not.  I did tell him, it was the least I could do, that he would be the focus of my blog for a day or so.  He said with a smile.  "You are not writing about that."  We will get to the "that."

Todays Question:  "Do you ever meet people who think they are suffering but really have no clue?"

I do.  The one I'm referrring to is of course my husband.  So...a few months ago we found out Gord had an inquenal hernia.  Too much lifting from the hardwood floor rennos at our home.  (Not the Farmhouse.)  We decided to go alternative surgery to Toronto.  Long story short Gord was told to lose fifteen pounds.  Let me just add here, if I had a hernia and they said lose fifteen pounds I'd say praise ye the Lord.  The weight was based on the BMI, Gord was 15 pounds over.  Easy breezy.  Not for Gord.  So did he diet?  Lets just go with a resounding...NO!  He did lose 10 pounds quickly but trust me it had nothing to do with what he was eating and everything to do with all the rennos at the farmhouse.  The last five pounds he assured me he would lose on his own.  Wasn't my problem he said.  What attitude.  So I left him to himself, well as much as a wife can.  I do enjoy pointing out the obvious.  Like it's not a diet Gord if you eat crab/lobster/cream stuffed salmon with roasted potatoes and a well dressed Ceasar salad, instead of prime rib.  Ha!  Isn't he funny.  That was his meal on Friday night, he had to weigh at the hospital in Toronto Monday morning.  Please note he was watching what he ate.  Did I mention that for lunch that same day he had mussells in cream sauce with yummy bread to dip in that sauce.  Seriously people...the man is watching what he eats. 

Onto Saturday, now he's getting serious.  Breakfast at A&W, sausage and egg muffin, plus half of a ham and egg muffin.  Lunch, I really can't remember, but supper...the man sacrificed.  He had the salad bar at West Edmonton Malls Cafe Europa.  Some cheese with tomotaoes and fresh basil.  Some chicken, peel and eat shrimp, salad, bean and spourt, some more cheese with tomatoes, he really liked those.  Etc., I can't even remember all that was on both plates he ate, oh wait two bowls of soup.  No popcorn at the movie with our grandson because Josh and I decided Grandpa would not be able to resist.  We are smart like that. 

Sunday morning, we were getting ready to leave.  Gord pronounces that he will be fasting to ensure he's lost the last five pounds needed for surgery.  I get up he's eating an orange.  I said I thought you were fasting dear.  He assures me it's fine he needed an orange to take his pills.  The kids come over to say goodbye to their dad before he goes to Toronto, they have lunch.  Gord has tomato soup...two bowls.  It's liguid...seriously. We get to the airport and he's looking at food like a man who has gone for weeks without a meal.  So pitiful.  I tell him he could have a salad.  So I order soup and salad and he eats all the salad and half of my soup.  Please know that he really thinks he's watched what he's eaten and dieted.  I find that hilarious.

Monday morning and we are in Toronto, Gord has to weigh.  So I go down for breakfast and he comes down for coffee and has a bowl of fruit.  Now for the really riduculous part.  He weighs...no surprise for me the five pounds is not gone but the Dr. gives him the okay in spite of his obesity.  Can you imagine fellow weight watchers, five pounds overweight.  That's not overweight that's a fraction of the fat at the bottom of my left calf.  Seriously. 

So now the handsome man who I love with all my heart has passed the tests and is free to eat.  So lets talk gluttony shall we.  He immediately goes to the little store and buys an egg salad sandwich, eats that and then says he's starving, you know he was fasting people, so he gets a huge cinamon bun and eats that, less the two little bites he allowed me to have.  Then we get him to his room and he needs to go the cafeteria, the nurse said something about lunch.  I have to ask, what was that sandwich and cinamon bun?  Please remember he tells me often, "I'm starving."  H really beleives that.  I'm like why, you haven't been dieting and your fast was at best a little lighter meal day.  He smiles.  So I watch him eat another egg salad sandwich and a bowl of soup.  Oh I'm so hungry he declares with great conviction holding his tummy.  A lady drops off someone elses bowl of soup and Gord is hoping she's bringing it to him.  So he asks if he could get another sandwich.  I tell her the man is starving.  So she very nicely brings him a ham and cheese.  Hello...three sandwiches, a bowl of soup and a cinamon bun.  Oh I add the four breaksticks he ate waiting...for what...I don't know...the basket of breaksticks was sitting there.  Isn't he funny.  I tell you the odds of me ever dropping a pound, if I had Gord's mentality as to what "dieting" was, would be as rare as me finding out I won the lottery five times while flying around on my magic dragon in a super hero bikini suit and cape looking fabulous.  Not bloody likely as the English would say. 

So that has been day one...checked in and all Gord has been doing since he passed the weight test is checking out the food.  Oh I forgot to mention the rolo ice-cream bar he shared with me...I'm certain I had at least a quarter of it.  Isn't he sweet.  He was really looking forward to supper when I left. 

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment