THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Little Glimpses That Keep You Going

This morning, after a night at the hockey game, the smorg, and a small bag of free popcorn, I'm down one pound.  It's seems as wonderful a miracle as the Oilers winning.  Isn't life grande with it's high and lows.  It is those glimpses of glory that keep a person going, I'm feeling somewhat back to normal and the swelling is gone. 

Todays Question:  "What would the world be like without those small but frequent glimpses of glory to give us hope?"

I couldn't, and don't want to, imagine.  I love little reminders that life goes forward, regardless of how difficult the wait between glimpses can be.  When we are in the middle of a struggle it is the glimmers of hope that keep us going.  When all seems lost something so small but so significant happens to remind us that God is still in control.  In all things there is purpose, a lesson and a solution, if we could just remember that when things are spinning out of control life would be so much more peaceful.  I clearly  remember what I would define as the worst day of my life and the best day of my life. 

My son Calvin had been diagnosed with a rare but treatable disease, actually misdiagnosed, and it was taking all I had to fight the feelings of gloom I had.  Our rather small dog, huge in his own mind, had gone outside and decided he would take on a coyote in our backyard, I heard him yelp as I stood in my bedroom getting ready for the day.  I yelled out his name and all three of my kids went running to see what had happened.  There was our little Yorki-Pom Jr. hanging from the coyotes mouth.  I called my husband to come and shoot that coyote, the gun was loaded and in Gord's hand when mercy for that coyote got me, I said; "Don't kill it babe, just get Jr. and bury him.  Gord shot over it's head and it released our dog and ran off.  Calvin and Gord buried Jr. in the field.  I comforted my kids, went up to my room and lost it.  I asked God why all this was happening.  He answered me with scripture.  He said, "Jenny, "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose."  I said a tearful and rather firm, "ALL THINGS!".  And God said a gentle and most assuring; "All things."  I melted. 

Time would both surprise and teach me that God was in fact right, my dead dog and my beautiful Calvin passing from this life to everlasting life would indeed work together for good.  I had no idea how much I would learn from that wonderful glimpse of God's glory.  Had no clue that God could make the worst day of my life the most significant day as well.  My son's grace, acceptance of what was happening to him and mercy for others, who didn't know how to deal with his sickness, was remarkable.  No matter how much he went through and had to endure his answer was constant.  If he died he got to be with Jesus if he lived he got to be with us, he said he had nothing to lose and he was right.  His much older mother had yet to glimpse the glory that Calvin had obviously seen.  His passing and his accepting attitude changed me from the inside out.  I wish I could tell you that I accept things as wonderfully as he did.   I remember him asking me one night as we lay talking in my room.  He said; "Mom, I never thought I'd be the kind of person who got cancer."  I asked; "What kind of people do you think get cancer honey?"  He said; "I don't know mom, I just never thought I would be one of them."  Then he said the words that have changed my life; "Mom, better me than someone else."  And from that day to this my prayer has been that when I grow up I will be like that remarkable child.  At seventeen he knew what I'm still trying to learn...accept what life brings you with dignity and grace.  God has a plan whether it makes sense to us or not.  He will give you wonderful gimpses of glory throughout your life to remind you that you are destined for greater things. 

I have been able to comfort more people, reach more people and help others to heal because I embraced the words God gave me.  I embraced that ...."All things work together for good.." regardless of how hard, how sad, how pitiful, how joyful, how glorious, how hideous, how ugly or how beautiful it can be.  All things work to a single purpose...the greater good.  I keep going because I have hope and I will to learn from every struggle exactly what the good in it is.  Life is wonderfully complicated, everlasting life is amazingly peaceful, the struggling is done.  My baby boy has what I long for...He is daily in the presence of glory.

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day.

My prayer....Lord remind us of how little glimpses of glory can sustain us.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment