THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Friday, March 12, 2010

Purging

Since we are moving I decided it is time to do some serious purging.  I really need to de-clutter this home and get rid of things I've hung onto for way too long.  Everytime I get rid of something else I've hung onto because someone close to me gave it to me I feel a sense of release. Not from that person but from that thing.  I need to really learn that gifts are meant to be enjoyed for their season, not for a lifetime.  By giving something no longer in fashion, needed or appreciated away, I am keeping my focus on the giver and not the gift. 

Todays Question:  "How often do you put value on some "thing" over the people in your lives?"

Before you answer think because like me, you may be surprised that you do it.  Maybe not often but sometimes.  I had a pair of old blue jeans that I wore when I was the skinniest I'd ever felt in my life.  They are button fly Levis size 28.  I held onto those jeans for 30 years before I finally got rid of them.  I wanted to wear them again because I felt so good about myself when I did, 30 years ago.  How is it that I missed the frame of mind I was in and made it about the jeans?  I was head over heels in love with Gord, who was not yet my husband, I was so slim I tucked a hawaii t-shirt in and...sit down people...no rolls to be seen, I said none, not even the one I seem to always have at the back of my bra strap.  I know it's shocking and very hard to beleive but it's true. 

I tell you that story to illustrate how messed up a womens mind can be.  I'm in love, I'm so happy and so infatuated with this man who I knew would be my husband,  still together 30 plus years later, but I remember how skinny I was in those jeans and think I'll only be happy with my weight again if I can wear them.   I just realized that I have a picture of Gord and I from 30 years ago on the side of my fridge, I'm 130 pounds and wearing that t-shirt and those jeans.  It's my inspiration shot.  Turns out I got rid of the jeans when I should have tossed the message burned in my brain. 

Why do we measure our happiness with ourselves by the weight we do or don't have on?  Why don't we measures ourselves by how kind, loving, supportive and giving we are?  I mean what if I would have tossed Gord and kept the jeans?  So ridiculous to lovingly look at that picture of my slim self and wish I could wear those jeans again, yearning to be so slim again, while missing that the man in the picture with me is still the love of my life.  Oh there have been times I could have used those jeans to hit him over the head or snap his behind with...that's for sure.  Since I'm non-violent I refrained.  I should look at that picture and be amazed that two people  committed to each other and in good times and bad, honored their committment.  I should be amazed that his arm around, like it is in that picture, still means more to me than those dumbs jeans ever could.  I should be even more amazed that he can still get his arms around me.  Ha!  (Kidding) 

My point, I need to stop looking at what I used to look like some long lost great love and clearly focus on all the amazing true loves I have in my life.  My husband, my children/grandchildren, my friends and family.  I should see what I have accomplished and stop whinning about what I haven't yet to accomplish.  Old memories can be very sweet, however, when they take the focus off what you have and make you feel bad about where you are now, well my freinds, then it is times for old memories, like old jeans to be tossed out. 

Be blessed with  a Wonderful Day.

My prayer for you today is that you would concentrate on what is true and remember that gifts are subject to seasons, love however, is eternal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment