THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Monday, March 1, 2010

Proudly Canadian

I have not written since Thursday, the day Gord got out of the hospital.  Been a little too busy with traveling home, entertaining the patient, and dealing with changes to flights etc.  It's good to be home and back to normal.  I should add to my list of reasons why I hadn't blog my serious addiction to the Olympic games.   Such good television and this Country is amazing, not just because we are the world record holders for Golds, but because we have such genuine, dedicated and humble atheletes.  And the beauty of the Country...well...second to none in my opinion.  I have always been and will always be...proudly Canadian.

I am not posting my weight for a couple of days, giving my swelling body time to dispense of all the fluids I so love to retain while flying or driving.  I made this decision after a five pound gain from my last trip and I'm sticking to it. 

The trip went well in every way and although I did indulge in an almost daily ritual of chocolate to comfort myself, I didn't buy the one pound bags, I bought a few and enjoyed each one.  I'm proud to say without guilt.  I just seemed to need that little bit of what I call... it will be okay chocolate.  Once Gord was released, on Thursday, a day early, I was done with the chocolate almonds.  And yes, I did pass by Purdy's when we went to the mall.  Such control.  (No comments please.)

Todays Question:  "Do you think there are worse things in life than needing a few chocolate almond clusters to comfort yourself while you comfort others?"

I do, I didn't take Valium, although the man in the bed beside Gord kept saying he needed more Valium.  I gently explained to him that it was morphine he was looking for, Valium isn't that effective on hernias.  He laughed and said he could use something to help his mental state.  He was a nice man.  I also avoided stiff drinks, I did think about it once or twice but since I fall asleep if I have a weak drink, who would drive me home?  I know I'm not the one who had surgery but honestly, I'd have preferred it was me.  I think most moms, wives and grandmas, would change places with their sick babies, no matter the age, without hesitation.  I've had three major surgeries and I didn't need chocolate to feel comforted for one of them.  My loved ones get sick and I need something, I am grateful that the things I reach for are edible.  I can tell you my friends if I didn't have God to strengthen me when it comes to the people I love suffering there would not be enough chocolate in the world to settle me.

I'm am a very grateful girl this morning.  I have wonderful people in my life, a beautiful family, amazing friends and more blessings than can be counted.  My husband and I are both so thankful for your prayers.  He is recovering remarkably, off to work at 5:30am with only the occasional ouch.  We had a wonderful place to stay, the Olympics to keep our minds off the surgery, and great Dr.'s who let Gord out a day early so I could take him shopping.  He was even happy to come.  Turns out shopping is better than staying in the hospital. We are home safe and sound and Gord carried the suitcases in, I wouldn't let him carry them out.  It's been hard for my independant do it yourself man to let me do all the lifting, please note I didn't really enjoy the role of lifter, but I did it to keep him from bursting that hernia happily.  I told him I would carry the suitcases in when we got home and he quoted the Dr., "You are as good as you are going to get and nothing you can do is going to hurt your hernia."  So I said, "Fine."  Dave our wonderful son-in-law carried them upstairs to our room whether Gord liked it or not.  He's fabulous like that. 

So, it is back to normal and the thing I like about normal is it's subject to change.  Some of those changes are easier to deal with than others but I assure you, God is more than willing to give you everything you need to adjust to those changes. That is so remarkable, add to that the fact that He loves us enough to go ahead and prepare the way and it makes a person wonder why they spend a moment worrying. 

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day

No comments:

Post a Comment