THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Over All Image

So this morning I will be taking care of that ever so important 'image'.  I need the hair color, turns out the gray with it's white highlights is not as attractive as one might think.  I'm going to replace it with what used to be my natural color and since I'm not 100% vain I allow the bottom half of my hair to be what it has become...some color I can neither identify or name.  I plan to have the plant peel, which is a all natural affordable attempt to lessen these lines that someone drew on my face.  I realize sand blasting would be more effective but I hate pain so...we shall peel.

Todays Question:  "Do you see the value in looking and feeling good regardless of how old/young, skinny/fat, rich/poor you think you are?"

I sure do.  Years ago I watched one of those Canadian special stories, it was an interview with a prostitute.  The interviewer asked many questions, all respectful and with an approach to learn from this women why she thought men came to see her.  It was very interesting and not at all what I thought it would be.  The question that impacted me the most was; "Why do you think men come to see you?"  I expected her to say sex, she didn't.  She said that they came to be with a women who would listen to them, whose hair was done, who had make-up on, who smelled nice and looked her best.  Bamm!  Right between the eyes.  When I first met Gord I always looked good, hair, make-up, clothes.  I couldn't stand the thought of him seeing me when I was not at my best.  I used to wake up before him so I could check myself in the mirror before he saw me.  After a couple of years and children, I just wasn't so worried about it anymore.  I spent more time trying to impress strangers than I did my husband.  New job, must look my best.   Going out with the girls...wardrobe, hair and make-up people...now!  Shopping, have to look good so people think I can afford to look in their store.  Oh my image was very important to me.  Especially when it came to what other people thought.  But Gord, well he got to see me at what I'll call my whatevers, hair flat maybe but I always brushed it in the morning.  Make-up, why I'm not going anywhere.  Wardrobe, who cares as long as I'm comfy.  However, if I had to go to one of his many Christmas parties over the years I did work hard to look great...professionally done as they say.  But I am sad to say I didn't really do that for Gord, I just didn't wany anyone to think Gord married a loser.  I wonder if that's why we have so many babies delivered nine months after the Christmas party.  Food for thought.  Up until I saw that interview I thought love covered my multitude of looking bad sins. Turns out that most men who see prostitutes tell them they love their wives, just don't feel like their wives care enough anymore to want to impress them.

My point, I'm in debt to a prostitue and grateful as well.  Her honesty about why men came to see her, shocked me enough to wake me up.  From that day to this day I do my very best to always look good, for my husband yes, but also for myself.  I decided all those 25 plus years ago that sweat pants would not be a part of my wardrobe.  The prostitue said men hate sweatpants.  I couldn't argue that point, even my skinny friends don't look good in sweat pants.  I will inject that Lulu Lemon has greatly improved the sweat pant, although I don't own any.  I decided on that day that the hair would be done every morning, unless the night before did not turn it into a rats nest.  I made make-up my new best friend, even though it took me a long time to find things I wasn't allergic too.  I bought perfume that did not offend me or others and I wear it everyday.  No women is going to out smell me to get my husbands attention.  I took care of my overall image on a daily basis.  Even when I am sick or low on energy I still check out the mirror and do what I can to improve how I look.  Vanity yes, wisdom yes.  If the husband is away...be a bum...but don't go out of the house and scare people my friends...it's not right.  :)

My husband is not the most flattering man on the planet, okay not on any planet, or galaxy for that matter, however, the one consistant compliment I have gotten from him over the years is; "You always look good babe."  No matter how much or how little I have weighed I always do my best to look my best and that has made me feel better about myself.  I started out making the effort for Gord, I ended up doing it for both of us.  Regardless of how much money I had or didn't have to spend.

It would seem that the deeper truth is that what you truly think of yourself is reflected in how you care for yourself.  When you don't take care of yourself you shouldn't be surprised if others don't either.  Confidence is a beautiful thing...over-confidence is ugly.  Balance in this area is key.

My Prayer:  Lord help us to represent ourselves well and to let the outside be as beautiful as the inside, regardless of size, shape or color.  We are all created in Your image and should reflect your glory.

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day

1 comment: