THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Monday, January 11, 2010

Inward Beauty

Yesterday I got a sad reply to something that I posted a while back.  I've actually gotten a few responses since I started being open about my struggle to lose weight that reflect clearly how we ladies see ourselves.  This body image thing has gotten way out of hand and although I can see the benefits of being healthier and more active, I don't understand why we think we all need to look the same.  It took me a very long time to be comfortable in my own skin.  I spent way too many years wishing I could be as slim as this person or as pretty as that one.  I had no clue that people actually thought I was pretty, no idea that people wished they had my legs or my skin.  Would have been nice to have learned that a little earlier but maybe God knew better than I did what I needed to hear and when I was ready to hear it.  Did I say "maybe" God knew...lets go with...He knew.

At fifty I started to see my own beauty, inward and outward and I can honestly tell you that I am so much more impressed with what I look like on the inside.  It's not about  being perfect, I'm very far from that and please remember that wasn't a question so no comments.  It's about being happy with how you act and the reflection you cast.  Some of the most outwardly beautiful people lose their appeal once they open their mouths, the reverse is also true, some of the most unusual looking people just get more and more beautiful as they speak.  I didn't get a lot of compliments growing up but one thing I did notice throughout my life, at varying points, was that some people, including my husband, looked at the outside and liked what they saw but were more enamoured with who I was as they got to know me.  I remember Gord saying to me over and over again, "You are so nice."  I'm not kidding on our first date he said it like 20 times.  I would love to tell you I have the husband who always compliments me.  I don't.  I do have one who always respects and loves me...much better. 

When I look back over the things that friends, family and even strangers have said to me it's the comments about my character that have stayed with me.  I want people to look at me and feel comfortable, encouraged, safe and like I genuinely care about who they are and how they.  I don't want people to look at me and feel threatened or insecure and I certainly don't want people to compare themselves to me in any way.  God made us unique ladies and He knew what he was doing.  Make a list in your head, who are the most beautiful people you know...not who are the prettiest.  You'll find the list is different.

Today Question:  "Do you get that you are beautiful...period?"

If you are not I assure you it has nothing to do with your looks and everything to do with how you act.  The good news is we can change.  I really don't want you to take fifty years to figure out how beautiful you are or can be.  Look at yourself and don't use a mirror.  Take a good long inward look and what reflects your true beauty focus in on it.  Then when your mind is full of the truth about who you are go ahead and look and maybe for the first time, you'll see the real you.

God looks at the heart and instructs us to be inwardly beautiful...only that can cast a truly outwardly beautiful reflection.  Endeavour to beautifully adorned from the inside out...it's within your grasp.

Be blessed with a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Jenny!! You are one of the most beautiful people I know! Thanks to your love and helping show me how much God loves me and just how beautiful I am, you helped bring me back to life! You have raised a beautiful family that I am so thankful to feel a part of, a family that understands what is important, and that is the eternal promise of God! You are and inspiration to me, and to many other people and I will always love you just like a mother! What wonderful and encouraging words to hear first thing in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jenny . . . love the post. In my twisted mind i am just more curious about the old post :) ahahah love ya!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete