THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Motivation

Does the "mo" part of that word mean move...cause this morning I don't want to but I must. 

Todays Question:  "How does one motivate when desire is not present?"

My husband is the most self-motivated person I know, he works no less than eleven hour days most of the time, then goes to our farm house after work and does rennos.  This morning, and it's saturday, one of his two days to sleep in, he jumps out of bed excited to tile and install door frames.  What? Why? How?  I have to paint today and although I'm excited to see the walls done,  motivation to paint them is lacking.  What? Why? How?

What does he have in his brain that I don't?
Why does he just do the things he needs to do instead of putting them off like I do?
How come he seems happy about it?

Three questions I'd love the answers too but he's been baffling me for years.  He can make himself do it and I think it's because he loves his job and he loves to have a project, or twenty since we got the farmhouse.  He's either weird or something is seriously wrong with me.  I think I missed the motivation gene in the same way that Gord missed the cleaning gene. 

I've discovered that being motivated to do something and doing it are two different things.  I may not feel motivated but I will do it, once I fight with myself for a time.  Gords overdose of motivation springs him outta bed and he practically runs out the door, he'd have got up and left immediately if his motivation to drink coffee wasn't stronger.  I guess the answer is that I move faster toward the things I enjoy.  Maybe motivation is moving toward something at a breakneck speed for Gord and for me it's moving when I get around to it.  In the end it will get done. 

Reminds me of my weight loss journey, I'm doing it but it's slow, most days I'm not smiling about it but I make better choices anyway.  I still have that one pound to lose from my trip and then those other 42 from my lack of motivation.  I guess motivation is a good thing...I sure move fast when it's meal time.  God please help me to move a little faster and to be more motivated, and help actions to follow cause I don't think it's enough to just feel motivated.  :)

Be blessed with a Wonderful Day.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this post. Lately I've been feeling really unmotivated with getting all my school stuff done. I seem to push it off until I have no choice but to do it! Haha. Not good. Hopefully motivation kicks in soon...or at least kicks in after spring break. :)

    ReplyDelete