THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Commitment

We are on day six, feeling strong and doing so well I've surprised myself.  I know the odds for change in this forecast are great, but for now I'm basking in the sun of my success.  I've been away from home now since Friday, I avoided the road trip snacks that have been a part of my life since conception I'm sure.  I have watched my neice Amy and my husband eat a multitude of yummy things and not given in.  I didn't even use will power beleive it or not I used something that is new to me in this process of weight loss...commitment.  And that is the word of the day.  Now for the question.

What does commitment mean to you?

This October 3 I will have been married to my husband for 28 years.  I made a promise to God, and to Gord that I was commiting until death did us part.  Beleive me there have been times for both of us that killing seemed easier than commiting.  No matter what  I was in it for the long haul.  Let me tell you friends that there were many times when I felt I was doing all the hauling, I'm sure my husband would say the same thing. Anything worth having is going to be hard work and takes a great deal of commitment.  I can honestly tell you that for many of those 28 years I wondered about my commitment.  From time to time I've been know to say these words in the heat of the moment.  "I'm done!!!!"  But...I promised God and Gord.  Without a doubt it was the promise I made to God that kept me married through the rough spots.  Did I say rough spots...ooops my bad...meant to say over the gigantic seemingly unpassable mountains.

What does this have to do with my losing fifty one pounds you may ask.  Let me tell you.  It is going to take commitment for me to succeed.  Committment on those days when I want to jump into a pool of chocolate mousse and swim for days.  Commitment when I want to quit and go back to my wild and crazy eating ways.  Commitment when I want to over indulge because I can.  That's right because I can.  Do you know that you can eat whatever you want, I don't think I knew that.  So many diets tell you what you can and can't have.  I assure you I have proved those diet gurus wrongs often.  They say don't eat this...I say watch me baby.  Willfull to say the list...will power...not so much. 

I am blessed with so many wonderful people in my life.  I have a very supportive husband, amazing children and great friends.  And into each one of those above mentioned I have had to sow my own seeds of commitment.  I commited to love my husband and never leave. I committed to love his two sons. The day my first born son was born I committed to mother him and show him unconditional love, I followed that pattern for his sister and for his baby brother.  My first born is with Jesus and I am still committed to him, my daughter, my son and one of my step sons have married wonderful people and I am and always will be committed to them all. My grandchildren, well who couldn't love grandchildren...seriously the best and so easy to commit too.  My point, our lives are full of commitment.  We either commit to love unconditionally or we struggle to find happiness.    

Personal commitment is defined as mutual or self imposed obligations. It is to pledge to something or someone.  I have commited to lose fifty one pounds, self imposed duty at its worst or best...not sure which one yet.  The remarkable thing about commitment is it's my call 99% of the time.  From time to time my family has threatened to have me commited, totally different and so far it's just a threat. I have commited to succeed and I will succeed.  My choice, and your choice, we must never forget what it means to commit.

Have a wonderful Sunday, be blessed and find rest today from whatever weighs you down.  (Pun intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment