THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Seven Pounds

Down another pound today!  I could get used to this but I know it can't last so I'm just going to enjoy day two of down a pound.  It wouldn't be prudent to expect a pound a day lose and yet my mind goes a wondering, daring to beleive if only for a moment that a person could lose a pound a day.  Wouldn't that be grand, adding of course that you'd still want to be in good health.

Question of the day; "Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get used to something?"

I have and on so many levels.  Life is a series of things we need to get used to, some we embrace and some we'd love to run from.  About the only time I want to run is when I'm in an unpleasant situation, I'm sure I'd drive, but running is what I think about first.  Does that make me an athelete?  My first instinct when I felt to start blogging about my weight was flight, the more I thought about it the more I decided fight was the better choice.  I have spent years getting used to the way I look, I've accepted it and as I've said before it never stopped me from doing anything I really wanted to.  But, I knew that what I was doing wasn't good for me.  I got used to feeling stiff.  I got used to being out of shape and I got used to having low energy.  I even got used to shopping at the fat lady store.  Yep, I was glad I could still be stylish.  Please don't get me wrong I'm not insulting anyone who shops at those stores, I still go.  But I do remember the first time I went into one, I felt small.  Not what you expected me to say is it?  You see my size has never gone beyond a sixteen, although certain shirts have had to be size eighteen.  I have what my daughter calls a rack.  I also have no ghetto bootie, another term Tessa has taught me.  So I'd be buying the smallest pants they carried and the smaller shirts.  In that store I felt abnormal, just like I did at Banana Republic trying to find something that fit.  The difference, one store made me feel good about my abnormality and the other one frustrated me.  I got used to both. 

My point, we adapt and adjust, that's a good thing.  I needed to take a good honest look at what I was doing to my body.  I needed to make a decision that would define my quality of life as I age.  The abuse that I was inflicting on myself had to stop. I cannot realistically expect to live my life to the "fullest" and be overflowing out the top of my jeans.  I needed to adjust to eating less and I can tell you that I'm on day twelve and it keeps getting easier.  I have adjusted to eating less without freaking out...who knew?  I have only come close to feeling full a couple of times and I was strangely uncomfortable with even a hint of that feeling.  I didn't like it...shocking to say the least.  I have gotten used to eating less.

I'm living proof that humans can adjust to anything on so many levels.  I know that you could get used to and adapt to the changes you need to make in your lives as well.  Weight is certainly not the only thing I need to change.

Be blessed with a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment