THE RAMBLINGS OF A 52 YEAR OLD WHO'D LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH HER WORDS

Monday, September 28, 2009

Unpredictable

This morning I wanted to sleep in but the word unpredictable came to mind when a thought about my blog snuck in.  And it was followed by....

Todays Question:  How long will it take before you stop doing the things you do expecting a different result?

The answer should really be a prayer.  "Lord help me I'm predictable and I don't want to be."  In some ways being predictable is such a good thing.  I love knowing that there are people in this world who you can count on, they seem to always do what is right.  They are wonderful examples of good predictability.  I also know people who are very unpredictable and it is a little frightening because you never know what kind of response you are going to get.  One day happy, next day...not so much.  That's the not so pleasant side of predictability and I'm not judging anyone here...just pointing out both sides.  I will tell you I have spent time in both and worked hard in my dealings with people not to let my moods reflect my actions.

Speaking of hard work, I need to be more unpredictable in the things I will try.  I need to be more unpredictable in the way I will respond to certain things, like food for example.  This is a weight lose journal after all.  Last night I went to a wonderful Indian engagement party, oh the food was incredible, nan, butter chicken,  I only ate the sauce, vegetables that were so amazing, desserts that give new meaning to sweet, and chai tea in abundance.  It was so good.  I was eating my supper and it was yummy, the first plate, I was about to do something very predictable but once again, I thought of you my wonderful blogging friends.  I knew that if I went for that second plate I'd gain the pleasure of eating everything on, but no lose when I faced the scale.  I also would have that predictable and uncomfortable stomach ache from eating too much.  You decide if that is good predictability or not.  I'm very happy to report that I did not have seconds. The reasons too abounded in my brain, it's free food, it so good, you'll be dancing you can wear it off.  Seriously, did I plan on dancing for 24 hours?  Don't think so and that's how long it would take to wear off butter chicken sauce I'm sure. 

So, I didn't realize it last night but I did this morning, I did something very unpredictable and the result was very good.  I did not fall into that wonderful food only to look up from the floor with a sauce covered face, sweets in my mouth and chai all over the place asking my husband to help me up.  I did not go home with a stomach ache from overeating, I did however have to take a rolaid before bed because I had heartburn from the spices.  So worth it.  I am learning to do what is unpredictable for me, eat only as much as I need to feel comfortable and content.  I used the word content intentionally, it means having no more than what is necessary, being satisfied.  What a great word to define how we should feel after every meal. 

When will I stop doing what I've always done expecting a different result?  As soon as I stop being predictable.  I really would love to spend more time doing things I never thought I'd do.  I really want for all of us to live our lives to the fullest.  I really don't want an uncomfortable waste band and the comfort of always being able to eat as much as I want.  It seems good at the time but it leaves me empty.    Being predictable in the negative sense will never be a postive.  "Never!"  I need to chew on that, it's calorie free.

Be blessed with a wonderfully unpredictable day.

(I felt to pray that so let me know what today brings for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment